Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh, What a Feeling!


Usually, when I start to create a piece of jewelry, I have a vague idea in my head and I gather my beads and supplies and start; thinking, what if I used these or tried this, and the piece just sort of evolves. Sometimes, I have to rip out and sometimes I go ahead with some element that may be doubtful but in the end turns out to be right. Sometimes it turns out completely different than I'd imagined when beginnning. But when I started the process of creating Tears of Joy for the September Etsy Beadweavers' Challenge, "Complimentary Contradictions", everything just kind of clicked. First the colors, then the shapes and then the stitches to tie everything together. So from its conception, I had the feeling it was going to be a good one. And a good one, it definitely turned out to be. First it sold and later I learned that the buyer is also an accomplished beadweaver. To me, it is a great compliment that another beadweaver should like my work well enough to purchase it. Then to add to my feeling of artistic accomplishment with this piece, it won the September challenge! Ironically, if it weren't for the challenges, this piece probably would not have been created nor would some of my other "good" designs. This is only the third challenge I've entered, since I've just been in EBW since May 2008, but the challenges do for me exactly what I think they were intended to do - inspire and encourage us to give our best effort. To dig deeper into our creative thinking process and to reach new levels of skill. To bead where no beader has beaded before!! LOL Anyway, it is a thrill for me to have been recognized by my peers and to have had my five minutes of glory! Now it's time to think about the next month's challenge and to try to come up with a theme for November. Thank goodness I have a bit of time yet for each. I had an idea today for "Animal Instincts" so we'll see where it goes.

7 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

I am so happy for you, Debra. Yes, these challenges do cause us to think. I almost had the one in the August challenge and managed to make the September challenge. I hope I make the October challenge. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

njemacreative said...

'to bead where no beader has beaded before' HA! I love it. :) These challenges ARE a lot of fun.

Congratulations on your well deserved win, your necklace is amazing! That's so cool that it sold already.

Melody Marie Murray said...

It's a gorgeous piece, and it was fun to read more about how it came to be! Congratulations on the win. :-)

Kerrie Slade said...

Congratulations Debra - both on the win and the sale! Hopefully Tears of Joy have now turned to tears of happiness :D

Dawn N said...

Tears of Joy is a beautiful piece. You deserved to win. Pick a good theme for Nov.

Anna said...

I love this piece! I'm so happy you won this challenge!

Beaderjojo said...

Congratulations on winning the challenge, your creation was a beautiful one indeed!