Thursday, November 27, 2008



Thanksgiving day has always been a most traditional holiday for me. The trip to Grandma's house, turkey, dressing, pumpkin pie, then falling asleep watching football after stuffing ourselves more than the turkey were all an expected part of the day. My Thanksgivings have changed quite a bit since my childhood and a lot of those early traditions have gone by the wayside due to life happenings - death, divorce, children growing up and getting married, jobs that require 24/7 commitments, etc. But in spite of all the change, one thing remains constant for me and that is that Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on all the things in my life I am thankful for. I am employed and make enough to live on comfortably, not rich by any means, but I don't have to live paycheck to paycheck anymore. I own my own home and I can decorate it the way I like. I have extended family who care about me. We're not terribly close but stay in touch and gather for holidays. I have a committed relationship with a wonderful man who values me as a person. We are each other's best friend. I have reasonably good health for my middle years and thanks to modern medicine my blood pressure stays under control and my arthritis pain is manageable. I have three beautiful, intelligent children who have given me three more wonderful children through their choice in mates. Two of them have also given me three cherished grandchildren that I absolutely adore. And last, but certainly not least, I live in the USA. Even with all the troubles and problems in this country, I cannot imagine living anywhere else. So, I hope others are counting their blessings today also and realize that, like me, they have many, many things to be thankful for.

1 comment:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

I love hearing it when people count their blessings instead of grousing about what it going on in their life. It would be a more pleasant life if everyone would count their blessings.