Thursday, June 10, 2010

This One's Mine!

Very seldom do I make something specifically for myself.  Most of the time I feel I need to channel all my efforts into creating items to be sold.  After all, I invest a tremendous amount of time and materials in my work and shouldn't waste it on myself.  Much of the jewelry I wear is pieces I've taken to too many shows or that I've "borrowed"  from my inventory and decided to keep for myself.  But sometimes, a girl's just got to have something new for that special occasion.

Such was the case a couple of weeks ago.  I attended my 40th high school class reunion and alumni banquet over Memorial Day weekend.  It's not a fancy affair by a long shot, but I wanted something nice for the banquet so I found a very pretty dark purple blouse and black slacks.  Purple was especially fitting since it was one of our school colors.  The same weekend I found the blouse, I also found a new seller at our local farmers market.  She was a young girl selling dichroic glass jewelry and cabochons.  She told me she makes it in her microwave in a special kiln.  I liked her color and pattern combinations and wound up purchasing two cabochons from her.  Later I realized how well one of the cabs matched my new blouse and decided to make it up to wear to the banquet.  Here's what I came up with.  I wore it on a beadwoven chain I use for several different pendants and happily it drew attention so I could say, "Yes, I made this!".


Of course, I had to have coordinating earrings, too!



No comments: